Friday, January 13, 2012

I miss every little thing about her...

A long time neighbor and friend of Lisa's posted this today. It describes her so well. I will be reading these books.
Jen


I just finished writing my second book, Mountain Girl, and I wanted to share the dedication with all of you who loved Lisa.

DEDICATION

In loving memory of my dear friend Lisa Ashlock Turner, a genuine mountain girl from the hills of Tennessee and the real-life inspiration for the character of Clare, who appears in all three books of the Heaven’s Mountain trilogy.


In the first book, when Clare Morgan became a literary persona, it was Lisa’s voice I heard in my head as I wrote Clare’s dialogue and it was her personality that was the starting point for Clare’s character. I never imagined that within a few years I would no longer get to hear that merry voice speak of “packing” (carrying) something, or laughing with me over something silly. 
Lisa found joy and laughter in all the little things in life, and she was generous in sharing that joy with every person she passed along the way, no exceptions. That girl had an amazing gift -the ability to make every person she met feel like they were special and they were worth something.
Sometimes when you saw Lisa, she would have on her “work clothes”, just anything she could find, which might or might not match, and then other times, she absolutely sparkled on the outside and glowed from the inside, she would be just that radiant with beauty and joy.
She loved to make her home shine with beauty and warmth, too, with homey touches and flowers everywhere. She made everyone who came in the yard or walked through the door feel welcome, and as if they were coming home. 
Her faith was simple and absolute. It was always there and she spoke of it in the most natural way, never condescending or self-righteous or preachy, but real and genuine and down to earth. She lived her faith, too, by being kind and generous and hospitable not just to the more appealing people, but to the unappealing, the poor, the misfits that most of us tend to ignore. Without meaning to, she frequently made me feel ashamed of myself, for not treating people as generously and lovingly as she did. 
I heard her say many times, “If you want to have a friend, you need to be a friend”. Lisa truly knew how to do that. She was a wonderful friend to me and to many others. 
Whenever it was time to leave, Lisa always gave a hug and said “I love you”, as if she wanted to be sure, no matter what happened between the times we were together, we would always know that she loved us.

Until I see you again in heaven, dear friend….
Jackie



2 comments:

  1. Nature lover, an inspiration to others, a spirit filled with verve and laughter, grateful, generous, compassionate, humble, modest, beauty inside and out, homemaker, faithful, loving, friend. Wow, to have these things remembered at one's death would seem a life well lived by any standard. "Good job, my daughter" are the words she surely heard upon arrival Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimberly! I'm just now reading this. Yes, she lived well; soaked up every minute. I miss her so much.

      Delete